Buff One Banking is Where the Black & Gold Keep Their Green

Whether you’re a new student or have already been enjoying the CU Boulder life, you’re proud to call yourself a Buff. So if you haven’t already, now is a great time to open your Buff One Banking student checking account online – it takes less than 10 minutes, and you’ll have your new account in place and debit card – featuring a buffalo, no less! – in hand.


  • Link your CU Boulder Buff OneCard Student ID to your account to use as an ATM card.
  • The only financial institution with a branch and 10 ATMs on campus.
  • No monthly service charges, no minimum balance requirements.
  • Bank anytime, anywhere with online and mobile banking, as well as with our iPhone and Android apps:
  • Access to 5,000 branches and 30,000 fee-free ATMs nationwide.
  • Free and easy funds transfer options, including for parents transferring funds into your account, even if they’re not Elevations members.
  • Free eDocuments.
  • Free Buff One Visa® debit card featuring chip technology for extra security.

Not sure what a credit union is and how it's different from a bank? 


What you need to open your account

  • Current drivers license, state ID card or passport.
  • $25 member savings deposit required (your membership share in Elevations Credit Union). Initial funding of account can be from a check, debit card number or electronic transfer from another financial institution (routing & account number).
  • Social security number.

More resources to help you succeed  

Student Buff One Visa Debit Card

Buff One Visa

The Buff One Debit Card gives you worldwide access to your checking account. It’s accepted for purchases and also acts as your ATM card. 



Why We are Best for Students

We're Not-For-Profit

Banks are in business to make a profit. They know that most students are new to managing their finances. Some banks see an opportunity to profit by charging high fees when students make banking mistakes, apply for credit cards for the first time, or need to use services frequently.

Elevations Credit Union is a member-owned, not-for-profit cooperative. If our members are successful, then we will be successful. We don't charge as many fees as our competitors, and we make every effort to help you avoid banking mistakes.

We're Committed to CU Students' Financial Success

Elevations Credit Union is your source of unbiased consumer and financial information. We provide one-on-one financial counseling, seminars, and educational programs for college students. We also offer student mobile & online banking accounts. Elevations Credit Union is more than a bank, we assist students in making informed financial and life decisions.

Parent FAQ's:

How do I transfer money to my child's account?

There are a variety of options for parents to transfer money into their student's account. Some of our parents prefer to be a joint account holder on their child's account. Here are some of the ways you can transfer funds if you're a joint on your child's account:

  • Transfer funds online from a non-Elevations financial institution (check with your financial institution to see if this is an option and what the associated costs might be).
  • Make a transfer from your Elevations account to your child's account (online, in-person, by mail).
  • Set up cross-account deposit access (note, you won't be able to view your child's account information) or 360 account access (allowing you to deposit AND view your child's account information). These options have to be set up ahead of time by calling one of our Member Service Representatives at 303.443.4672.
  • Wire money to your student’s account.
  • Set up direct deposit transfers to your student's account from your paycheck (if direct deposit is available from your employer).
  • Make a deposit at over 5,000 CO-OP Shared Branches nationwide.
  • Make a deposit at over 30,000 CO-OP ATMs nationwide.

If you're not a joint owner, you can transfer funds via:

  • Mail in a check (made payable to your child's full name as it is listed on the account);
    Send to:
    Elevations Credit Union
    P.O. Box 9004
    Boulder, CO 80301
  • Call 303.443.4672 and do a cash advance deposit by phone (fees may apply).
  • Add your child as a "Payee" in your financial institution's Bill Pay.
  • If you're financial institution offers POP Money (a.k.a. "Pay Other People"), Elevations Credit Union account holders can receive POP Money transfers.
  • Make a deposit at a CO-OP Shared Branch (cash deposits only).
  • Set up cross-account deposit access.
    Note: This will allow you to deposit into your child's account but not view the account information. This has to be set up ahead of time. Please call one of our Member Service Representatives to get this set up at 303.443.4672.

Why Elevations?

What is Buff One Banking? How can students access this account?
Why is this better than opening an account at another bank?
Why can't our student just keep an account at our out-of-state bank?

Parent Access

How can we get money into our student's account from out of state?
How can we monitor our student's account?
Can we see our student's account online?

Student Choices

If there is a problem with the account, can students come into a branch?
What's the difference between the Buff OneCard and the Buff One Debit Card?
Is there a benefit to using online banking, Bill Pay, and eDocuments over paper checks and statements?
How does Overdraft Protection work? Why does our student need overdraft protection?

* New Buff One checking account required for eligibility, must be a new Elevations member and a University of Colorado student. Debit card and eStatements required at time of account opening to receive $100 offer. Limit one $100 offer per unique Social Security Number per 12-month period. Age 13 or older. If the account does not remain open through May 1, 2019, the $100 will be charged against the account balance at time of closing. The $100 will be described as a dividend adjustment on your account. You will receive a 1099-INT form stating dividend income for tax reporting purposes. Offer valid May 1 through August 31, 2018.

© Elevations Credit Union. All Rights Reserved. Routing# 307074580
This site is best viewed with a standards compliant browser.

Your savings federally insured to at least $250,000 and backed by the full faith and credit of the United States Government. National Credit Union Administration, a U.S. Government Agency