Buff One Banking is Where the Black & Gold Keep Their Green
What you will need to open your account
- Current drivers license, state ID card or passport.
- Initial funding of account: check, debit card number or information from another financial institution (routing & account number).
- Social security number.
More resources to help you succeed
Student Buff One Visa Debit Card
The Buff One Debit Card gives you worldwide access to your checking account without writing a check. It’s accepted for purchases and also acts as your ATM card. Use it at stores instead of writing a check. Use it at ATMs to make deposits, get cash and more.
Why We are Best for Students
Banks are in business to make a profit. They know that most students are new to managing their finances. Some banks see an opportunity to profit by charging high fees when students make banking mistakes, apply for credit cards for the first time, or need to use services frequently.
Elevations Credit Union is a member-owned, not-for-profit cooperative. If our members are successful, then we will be successful. We don't charge as many fees as our competitors, and we make every effort to help you avoid banking mistakes.
We're Committed to CU Students' Financial Success
Elevations Credit Union is your source of unbiased consumer and financial information. We provide one-on-one financial counseling, seminars, and educational programs for college students. We also offer student mobile & online banking accounts. Elevations Credit Union is more than a bank, we assist students in making informed financial and life decisions.
How do I transfer money to my child's account?
There are a variety of options for parents to transfer money into their student's account. Some of our parents prefer to be a joint account holder on their child's account. Here are some of the ways you can transfer funds if you're a joint on your child's account:
- Transfer funds online from a non-Elevations financial institution (check with your financial institution to see if this is an option and what the associated costs might be).
- Make a transfer from your Elevations account to your child's account (online, in-person, by mail).
- Set up cross-account deposit access (note, you won't be able to view your child's account information) or 360 account access (allowing you to deposit AND view your child's account information). These options have to be set up ahead of time by calling one of our Member Service Representatives at 303.443.4672.
- Wire money to your student’s account.
- Set up direct deposit transfers to your student's account from your paycheck (if direct deposit is available from your employer).
- Make a deposit at over 5,000 CO-OP Shared Branches nationwide.
- Make a deposit at over 30,000 CO-OP ATMs nationwide.
If you're not a joint owner, you can transfer funds via:
- Mail in a check (made payable to your child's full name as it is listed on the account);
Elevations Credit Union
P.O. Box 9004
Boulder, CO 80301
- Call 303.443.4672 and do a cash advance deposit by phone (fees may apply).
- Add your child as a "Payee" in your financial institution's Bill Pay.
- If you're financial institution offers POP Money (a.k.a. "Pay Other People"), Elevations Credit Union account holders can receive POP Money transfers.
- Make a deposit at a CO-OP Shared Branch (cash deposits only).
- Set up cross-account deposit access.
Note: This will allow you to deposit into your child's account but not view the account information. This has to be set up ahead of time. Please call one of our Member Service Representatives to get this set up at 303.443.4672.
What is Buff One Banking?
How can students access this account?
Buff One Banking is a checking account offered by Elevations exclusively to meet the needs of the student. We have partnered with the Buff OneCard Program
(Student ID) in order to make money management simpler for CU-Boulder students.
Why is this better than opening an account at another bank?
We offer full access to your accounts, including free mobile, tablet, online banking and bill pay
, as well as branches and ATMs on campus and beyond. Students can withdraw cash at virtually any ATM in the country - and many overseas! To avoid unnecessary fees, we recommend students look for surcharge free ATMs. CO-OP ATMs
- they are easy to find, with over 30,000 locations nationwide. In fact, CO-OP is one of the world's largest ATM networks and offers more ATMs than Chase or Wells Fargo.
Elevations Credit Union is the only branch on campus. We are a member-owned, not-for-profit financial cooperative that serves as a trusted alternative to traditional for-profit banks. Simply put: fewer fees, better rates, and personal service. Read more on the advantages Credit Union offer over banks.
Why can't our student just keep an account at our out-of-state bank?
A local account allows easy access to their money and personalized problem solving if needed. Experts agree this is important when putting money management skills into practice and establishing good credit. If the bank isn't local, students can quickly rack up foreign ATM fees and surcharges by using machines outside their bank's network. Elevations Credit Union has a branch on campus, and 3 more in Boulder. And there are plenty of no-surcharge CO-OP ATMs
- 25 in Boulder (8 right on campus), and over 30,000 nationwide - more than ANY bank.
How can we get money into our student's account from out of state?
How can we monitor our student's account?
Make deposits at over 5,000 nationwide CO-OP Shared Branches
, or directly to the Credit Union by mail. Parents can also make deposits using nationwide CO-OP ATMs
if they are joint on the account and order a Visa Debit Card. Some parents choose to designate an amount of their paycheck to be directly deposited into the student's account as a monthly allowance. Wire transfers are another option for fast transfers of cash.
Can we see our student's account online?
With Joint Ownership, parents have full access to the account. Joint owners are held financially responsible for any defaults or overdrafts. As a joint owner, parents are also eligible for a Visa Debit Card, which can be used to make deposits at CO-OP ATMs
In order to view account information through online banking, you will need to be a joint or deputy on the account and have access to your student's online username and password.
If there is a problem with the account, can students come into a branch?
Yes. We have a branch right on campus in the UMC Building. If there is a problem with the account, rest assured that we will help your student solve it. And in addition to regular teller services, Elevations Credit Union offers free one-on-one account counseling.
What's the difference between the Buff OneCard and the Buff One Debit Card?
The Buff OneCard is the student ID card issued through the University of Colorado Housing Department. It can be used to access a credit union account at ATMs with a PIN. The Buff One Debit Card is a separate Visa Debit Card that can be used to access a credit union account at ATMs and stores that accept Visa (millions of locations) with a signature or a PIN. Your student should bring their student ID to a branch to activate it before using it at ATMs. Both of these card options are at no cost.
Is there a benefit to using online banking, Bill Pay, and eDocuments over paper checks and statements?
How does Overdraft Protection work? Why does our student need overdraft protection?
It's faster and easier. Students can access and control their finances while home on break or during travel. And if they move to a new address, there will be no delay in receiving statements and notices. Sending an electronic check through Bill Pay helps students avoid missing payments by scheduling checks in advance. With online banking, students know exactly how much is in their account at all times. Online banking, Bill Pay, and eDocuments
are the safest choice and reduce the risk of identity theft by giving real-time access without paper records that would-be thieves can access.
Mistakes happen. At Elevations Credit Union, we want our student members to establish good credit, not rack up fees. We offer a Visa Credit Card with Overdraft Protection
to protect student's accounts from "bounced" check fees. The Visa Credit Card has no annual fee, the same low rate for cash advances as for purchases, and forwards only the amount required to cover the overdraft.